The case for this module intends to ensure that you can: (a) describe the general structure of a computer network, (b) present some typical procedures for securing and maintaining networks, and (c) identify the links between the technological components and the overall sociotechnical framework of the firm.
Before writing-up this case, read and review the following documents (we recommend reading in this same order):
1. Network Structure: http://www.pcmech.com/article/network-structure/
2. Breeding, M. (2013). Designing and Building the Best Small Office Network From the Ground Up. Network Computing. Available at http://www.networkcomputing.com/netdesign/soho1.html
1. CISCO (2010). Internetworking Technology Handbook. Retrieved from http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Internetworking_Technology_Handbook
2. Network Structure Design: http://www.geeksnerds.co.uk/it-support/computer-network/
3. Paquet, C. (2013). Network Security Concepts and Policies. CISCO Press. Section on Security Policies. Available at http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=1998559&seqNum=3
4. Ten steps to securing Networks: http://howto.techworld.com/security/1862/ten-steps-to-secure-networking/
5. Sociotechnical systems in the 21st century: http://www.bayswaterinst.org/storage/Sociotechnical%20systems%20theory%20in%20the%2021st%20Century.pdf
6. Sociotechnical knowledge creation and storage in organizations: http://www.iriboffice.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=6n0yNKnHr5A%3D&tabid=245&mid=636
Now, imagine you are starting a new business; you are opening a medium-sized food store in your hometown. (if a food store does not suit you, then any similar-sized business is fine for this assignment.) Specifically, you now must design the technology and networking architecture for your business.
For this case, write a 4-5 page description and justification for the technology and network architecture you decide upon and design. Be sure to articulate the structure, your procedure for securing and maintaining the network, and discuss and rationalize the sociotechnical linkages that you design between your organization and the technology.
Your assignment will be graded following these expectations:
• Precision: the questions asked are answered.
• Clarity: Your answers are clear and show your good understanding of the topic.
• Breadth and depth: The scope covered in your paper is directly related to the questions of the assignment and the learning objectives of the module.
• Critical thinking: It is important to read the “required readings” posted in the background material plus others you find relevant. Your paper should include important concepts from these readings and incorporate YOUR reactions and examples that illustrate your reflective judgment and good understanding of the concepts.
• Your paper is well written and the references are properly cited and listed (refer to TUI guidelines http://support.trident.edu/files/Well-Written-Paper.pdf)
• Your paper meets the page requirements not counting the cover page or the references pages.