1. In World War II Germany forged an alliance with Turkey in order to avail itself of Turkey s
A. military strength.
B. armaments stockpile.
C. geographical location.
D. English made battleships.
2. The author of Conflict in Rwanda asserts that the root of the civil war there was a result of
A. political conflicts.
B. ethnic hatred.
C. territorial disputes.
D. religious rivalry.
3. Winston Churchill s speech, The Sinews of Peace, became known as the _______ speech.
A. Cold War
B. Iron Curtain
C. United Nations
4. Mikhail Gorbachev argued that after World War II Russia
A. didn t want another war.
B. was prepared for another war.
C. wanted only to spread communist doctrine.
D. wanted to weaken democratic governments.
5. What event set the First World War into motion?
A. Turkey s attacking Russian cities along the Black Sea
B. The assassination of the heir to Austria Hungary s throne
C. Germany s seeking a treaty with Turkey
D. Britain and France s attacking Germany s ally, Turkey
6. The United Nations Organization was founded in response to
A. World War I .
B. World War II.
C. the Korean War.
D. the Vietnam War.
7. At the 1939 New York World s Fair, the Tomorrow Town failed to generate the kind of interest it was intended to because it
A. was poorly organized.
B. consisted of only futuristic exhibits.
C. wasn t geared to the average citizen.
D. wasn t advertised well enough.
8. After World War II, the Jewish population didn t demand revenge on Germany because they
A. were trying to assimilate in their societies.
B. were afraid of drawing attention to themselves.
C. could not do so because of their religious beliefs.
D. didn t want to reopen the wound.
9. Rather than promoting goods and manufactures, the 1939 New York World s Fair sought to emphasize
A. the strength of business .
B. the arts.
C. science and technology.
D. cultural awareness.
10. In his 1992 speech what did Gorbachev say should be done to the United Nations?
A. It should be abolished.
B. Its charter should be rewritten.
C. Its membership should be limited.
D. Its membership should be expanded.
11. Which of the following best describes what the Kuomintang was?
A. A democratic party
B. A Communist faction
C. A group of Chinese warlords
D. The Nationalists army
12. After World War II, Winston Churchill argued that the United Nations should be
A. given control of all atomic weapons.
B. given an armed force.
C. allowed to attack communist states.
D. controlled by the United States government.
13. When the Bolsheviks seized power, Russia was considered backward. For Theodore Von Laue, this backwardness meant that the
A. economy lacked organization and strength.
B. country had no cohesive cultural organization.
C. people lacked the self discipline to run the country effectively.
D. Russian Empire s government was outdated and ineffective.
14. According to the reading, the 1939 New York World s Fair exceeded all other world fairs in
B. international participation.
C. technological exhibits.
15. What was the effect of the passing of the Nuremberg laws?
A. German Jews rights and citizenship were revoked.
B. The Nazi party was allowed to operate openly.
C. Judaism was made illegal and punishable by imprisonment.
D. A German dictatorship was instated.
16. The Rwanda s colonizers favored the Tutsi over the Hutu peoples because the Tutsi
A. were the majority group.
B. were the minority group.
C. embraced European culture.
D. were European featured.
17. The United States victory in the Cold War was largely due to its
A. stronger economy.
B. stronger military.
C. larger stockpile of weapons.
D. possession of nuclear weapons.
18. During China s Cultural Revolution the intellectuals were persecuted because they
A. were perceived as being too democratic.
B. embraced Western ideology and scholarship.
C. were the carriers of the great traditions.
D. introduced radical change to the great traditions.
19. Post war Germany s response to the Holocaust was to
A. claim it never happened.
B. distance themselves from it.
C. attempt reparations.
D. try to justify it.
20. What prompted Turkey s 1914 shelling of Russian cities along the Black Sea?
A. Turkey was retaliating against Russia s attacking them.
B. Turkey wanted to control the Black Sea.
C. Russia was readying to seize the Dardanelles.
D. Germany forced Turkey to do it in keeping with their treaty