For this paper, pick any five songs that we’ve listened to in class that you feel have had a significant impact on you. For each song, explain the style of song, what influences and traditions are at work, what instruments are featured, and most importantly, what you hear in the song and the artist that has made it stand out for you as a listener.
– Lullaby of birdland by Ella Fitzgerald
– Black Beauty by Duke Ellington
– Gimme a pigfoot and a bottle of beer by Bessie Smith
– On the sunny side of the street by Louis Armstrong
– Maple Leaf Rag – New Orleans Rhythm Kings